Tuesday, August 24, 2010

The Corolla Wreck/ Your Not Going To Like This!




It has been said that sometimes seeing something from the outside is useful.  This summer I made a pilgrimage to see what the media have been calling the Corolla wreck of North Carolina.  As an archaeologist I am supposed to be impartial, but to tell you the truth I was hoping to see a hull construction of similar style to the Cattewater wreck.  I will have to admit- I was disappointed in this regard.  I know why I wanted to see lapped dovetails between the floors and first futtocks on the remains of this vessel.  I wanted to say- this was produced in the Chesapeake.  Sadly to my colleagues I must voice my opinion- nay!  This wreck lacks both the typical English military or commercial construction techniques for the period. Period.

The frame spacing while regular lacks diagnostic English features- to regular to be Dutch, but to disconnnected to be of the Iberian-Atlantic tradition.  The hull form was flat and broad.  A cargo vessel?  When the hull can't tell the whole story sometimes the artifacts can- coins on the wreck have origins in France and Iberia.  It is most likely therefore- until proper dendro can be done to identify point of origin, that this vessel was part of the early 17th century exploitation of sassafras and other herbs and woods along the coast from Florida to North Carolina by the French Diaspora (see Waselkov 2009).  Construction is similar to La Belle.

Of course much more could have been learned and there would have been less debate in the future if this important wreck had been protected better.  A hint to local government to take better care of its submerged resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment