Friday, July 16, 2010

Inspiration:



I have recently been asked by a friend and colleague how it is I came to be attracted to archaeology through the Archaeology Society of Virginia, and as I am having a sleepless night I have decided to take a break from writing my thesis proposal and the constitution of the VMHSCA and perhaps explain.  When I was young I wasn't like the other kids around me who played video games or soccer, for one my family was too poor to afford a sega or the like, though I would go to friends houses to play on occasion.  I relished the opportunity to learn and explore as I knew from an early age the expense of education. If I had a thought in my head I was never troubled or worried when working, and I was helping my family out with chores and manual labor at an early age.  History is full of the stories of those individuals who started out small, but worked to be comfortable.  History holds stories that if we just take time to listen and read and speak that can lift the spirit of the most downtrodden and give hope to the hopeless.  History can take the pain away from the wounded by giving them strength in past peoples virtues.  It can give a future to those that society has given up on, these things I ardently believe.

I will not be able to reach everyone who needs that encouragement, and lord knows that a lot of people think I am crazy for doing this in a grassroots manner.  Truth be told, I don't know if my colleagues and I will be able to pull this off.  If one person sees my facebook page and gets inspired to read a book like I did after talking to those members of the ASV, one of which was interested in canal boats, I believe that I have given back what was given to me.  Anything else I do simply helps other people.  I believe that there are children and adults out there searching for a group or even a person to share their stories with.  I am here to listen; more importantly I am here to bring like minded people together.  It will be like with me, the ASV led me to Middleton's Tobacco Coast, and the dream which has not only kept me going, but has given me the strength to help others when I have had nay sayers barking at me.

When it is all said and done- I will give this organization my all because I believe in it.  I hope that if anything I inspire in someone to stand up for what they believe in.  I hope that the VMHSCA grows and I will nurture it and protect it as well as all of its members.  I am simple and so are the rest of the members who have voiced their support.  I am simply here for the first little bit to listen; to everyone who wants to speak or be a part.  I will not try to make people do things by collusion.  I want honest, simple people who want to do the work because they want to and they enjoy it.  I don't want people with egos who don't want to share the show and contribute or listen.  The world does not owe me anything, and we must all earn our place in it; whatever that place may be.  The person you inspire today however, may shape the world in greater ways than you could ever imagine.  That is the greatest of all successes, to be an honest teacher.  A teacher who listens, who inspires by their own actions and not by association, one that honestly cares.

This leads into the second question I have been asked by my colleague, "How do I hold the children's interest?"  Truthfully, you won't; at least not the majority of them.  Some will not have the ability to understand the need, and others will have no desire or passion to do so.  One out of a hundred will see your passion for what you do and be inspired, and only a hundred of those will keep the passion to become teachers.  History and archeology have always been my passion, even now the simple person that I am.  It is a undefinable quantity that I can wrap myself up in like a blanket when my very soul gets cold from my trampling in the working world.  Those people who feel the same are seeking the spark of inspiration, all you have to do is be there.  I am here for my own purpose; I enjoy what I do.  Others will eventually follow, they always have.

No comments:

Post a Comment