Monday, July 12, 2010

The First Interest Meeting-

It has been said that an organization is only as good as those people who run it. With that I can honestly say that the first meeting of the Virginia Maritime Heritage Society and Conservation Association was a resounding success. While the first meeting drew few people in person, those that showed up have more passion and enthusiasm to make up the difference. We discussed the need and the urgency of founding an agency to deal with the maritime heritage of the Commonwealth of Virginia. I made a promise to myself that if just one other ardent person showed up that I would write a constitution and do the remaining footwork.



Those people who showed up reminded me that a passion like the one I have is rare, we are the people who will work for minimum wage to support our endeavors and to spread history to those who would listen. There are many agencies that have a foot in Virginia with respect to the preservation of its heritage and they are welcome to engage and contribute as I write the constitution for review for those who will be our members. We are not here to usurp the established, but to assist and contribute. While I will be asking for those who are interested patience, I have put myself out there for criticism for a reason. I believe that any person or authority should be challenged. I am here to ask humbly for adv ice while I attempt to create and lead this organization. It is with that in mind that I have created the facebook ‘election’ page under our facebook group. All ideas will continue to be read and considered, and I vow to give credit to where it is due.



While I am busy trying to establish myself as a practicing maritime archaeologist, I remind myself that I would not have gotten this far if I had not met two members of the Archaeological Society of Virginia at a state fair when I was six. The constitution and articles of incorporation will be heavy in regards to outreach for this very reason. We need the help of the already established in the fields respective to Virginia’s heritage, but it is our goal to reach those they currently cannot. If we step on toes, we apologize, but any good person of the creed of teaching will recognize that you celebrate and nurture your student’s successes, even if it means you are not a part of it. Similarly, I will not fight against any established organization; such an action is not in the Commonwealth’s best interest. I hope that you will join me in this endeavor and once again ask for your help and support. Remember that every little bit helps! And everyone is welcome to help if they want to preserve, curate, and disseminate the history of the maritime culture of Virginia.



Sincerely,

Jason Lunze



Graduate Candidate in Maritime Archaeology at

The University of Southern Denmark.



Jlunz09@student.sdu.dk

Jason.lunze@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment