Thursday, September 13, 2012


Well I looked at the calendar and it has been a year since my colleagues at the last interest meeting at the Mariners’ Museum recommended that I form a chapter within the Archaeological Society of Virginia to address submerged cultural heritage issues in Virginia.  It has now been about seven months since the formation of that chapter was recognized.  As of yet I have not been able to come up with the required steady membership to bring that dream to fruition, but there is a bittersweet reason.  Shortly after the board of the ASV approved the formation of the chapter, my grandmother was moved from her retirement in Florida to spend her last days with us in Virginia.  This required that I take a leading role in the family business and leave my passion on the back burner for a bit.  At the insistence of several colleagues, I have returned to the blog and the dream and a lot has gone on in Virginia over the last year.  At request of a colleague I am reposting some old projects but also some active ones, which are potential volunteer opportunities. 

 

Shortly after attending the Middle Atlantic Archaeology Conference in Virginia Beach, Bernard K. Means and the Virtual Curation Unit scanned rigging specimens from the Wreck of the Collier Betsy, which was sunk at Yorktown during the American Revolution.  A link to the full article can be found here….

 


 

Also shortly after the Middle Atlantic Archaeology Conference in Virginia Beach, Dave Hazzard of Virginia Department of Historic Resources worked with the staff of the Fairfield Foundation of Gloucester County to record a threatened contact period expanded and extended logboat.  A link to the Fairfield foundations facebook page can be found here…sadly no web publication on this event has been forthcoming.

 


 

Starting in the spring of this year The Watermen’s Museum under Dr. Dave Niebuhr started construction of a replica of an American Revolution gunboat called the Henry.  Some additional information can be found below…

 


 

After many years of work by members of the Virginia Canals and Navigation Society has regained membership and had a great year of publications!  Their website can be found here…

 


 

I also gave a presentation to the Howard McCord Chapter of the Archaeological Society of Virginia at Richmond Department of Historic Resources on some of my work in Europe.

 

Truth is there are so many things going on in maritime archaeology, history, and ethnology in Virginia that it would be impossible to list them all in on blog…

 

For just general interest Tim Smith of Yorktown has created an interesting networking area on facebook….

 


 

Now that my grandmother has passed away and I am needed less by my family I will be more active in the community in Virginia.  I look forward to your feedback as the next blog post will be upcoming fall events!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment